Monday, 20 October 2014

Butternut Squash, Carrot & Quinoa Nut Roast GF

Butternut Squash, Carrot & Quinoa Nut Roast in loaf tin

I've been making this awesome nut roast regularly throughout the Summer. Quick and easy to prepare, it's packed full of protein from the quinoa and the nuts and the butternut squash and carrots give it a subtle sweetness as well as a lovely warm, orangey tinge.

Quinoa in a bowl

The nut roasts I used to make years ago always had breadcrumbs added to the mix, something I rarely do these days when there are far better nutritional alternatives. Quinoa is the ideal replacement for the bread because it can soak up some of the moisture of the vegetables and act as a binder at the same time. But the best bit about using Quinoa is the protein. Unlike other grains it contains significant amounts of the amino acids lysine and isoleucine which enable quinoa to be considered as a complete protein source.

Butternut Squash, Carrot & Quinoa Nut Roast in a pan ready to go into the tin

Butternut squash and carrots contain significantly high levels of beta-carotene, an antioxidant that helps to boost the immune system and helps to maintain good eyesight - a precursor form of vitamin A. Did you know that the body can cleverly regulate the amount of beta-carotene that it converts to Vitamin A and there is no chance of consuming too much from these food sources? However, if you do eat too many carrots, for example, you may end up with a yellow tinge to your skin though fortunately this is reversible.


Fry the vegetables in a frying pan

Don't worry too much about the exact quantities, a little more or less butternut squash, nuts or quinoa doesn't make that much of a difference to the recipe. It is important, however, to time the cooking of the quinoa since it needs to be slightly undercooked before adding to the vegetables. Also, I used a lined 2 lb loaf tin but you can use a square dish if you prefer and you don't need to line it, it just makes it easier turn out.

Cooked Butternut Squash, Carrot & Quinoa Nut Roast

Butternut Squash, Carrot & Quinoa Nut Roast GF

75 g uncooked quinoa (about ¾ cup)
250 g mixed nuts (e.g. almonds, cashews, brazils, walnuts)
1 large red onion
1 stick celery (optional)
400g peeled butternut squash (about ½medium butternut squash)
2 carrots
1 large clove crushed garlic
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground sea salt and black pepper

  • Set the oven to 180° C 
  • Finely chop the red onion and celery, peel and dice the carrots and butternut squash.
  • Melt about 1 tablespoon of oil in a deep frying pan and add the onions and celery.
  • Cook the onions over a medium heat until they start to go translucent then add the garlic, butternut squash and carrots.
  • Fry the vegetables for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly then add the herbs.
  • Cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for a further 10 minutes, adding a tiny bit of water if the mixture seems a little dry.
  • Meanwhile rinse the quinoa for at least 2 minutes in a wire sieve under the running tap.
  • Tip into a pan and add double the amount of boiling water.
  • Bring to the boil and simmer with the lid on for ten minutes while the vegetables are cooking.
  • Drain the quinoa then tip it into the vegetables, put the lid back on, turn off the heat and leave for 5 to 10 minutes so the quinoa can absorb the liquid from the vegetables.
  • Mash the mixture with a potato masher to break up some of the vegetables chunks.
  • Finely chop the nuts and add to the pan with plenty of sea salt and black pepper. Start with 200 grams and add more, if necessary, to absorb the moisture.
  • Mix well then tip into an oiled or lined tin.
  • Bake for about 35 to 45 minutes in the centre of the oven until crispy on top.
  • Tip out straight away, slice and serve.

Butternut Squash, Carrot & Quinoa Nut Roast sliced

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).


29 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous Vicky! I much prefer the idea of quinoa to breadcrumbs. I don't make nut roasts often though I do love them, I suppose because I'm usually just cooking for 1 or 2. Do you reckon this would freeze well? I'm thinking I could cook, slice and freeze then I have individual portions ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma! I imagine it will freeze well, I haven't tried freezing this nut roast but I freeze the others. It also makes good burgers and bites!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see your post Vicky, love this butternut squash carrot quinoa, it is healthy by itself, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning and tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nut roast looks so delicious, Vicky. It's really colourful and I love the variety of nuts you used. It's such a good idea to use the quinoa as well - both for flavour and nutrition! Thank you so much for sharing this wholesome recipe with us at the Hearth and Soul hop. Pinned and will share :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April, the colour is lovely and quinoa makes a nice change!

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a stunning colour! Your nut roast is spot on for this season ♥ I've never made a roast with butternut squash and quinoa before, but it sounds wonderful. Definitely pinning your recipe on my 'to try' list xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon! I added quinoa to boost the protein levels and it goes beautifully crispy on top!

      Delete
  5. Thanksgiving is coming soon, in just a few weeks! I am assigned to make a dessert and I have no idea what to make! Vicky, what a gorgeous nut roast, I’ve never had nut roasts before, is it a common dish in the UK? I only had vegan grain/meat roast (Field Roast, Gardein, Tofurky, etc) and it was pretty good with loads of gravy especially in sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we first went vegetarian - way back - nut roasts were incredibly popular and we ate them every Sunday... and cold the following day, they taste awesome! We also put them in sandwiches and they taste lovely smothered in onion gravy! It must be lovely to look forward to Thanksgiving, such a lovely celebration and then Christmas shortly after..happy days ahead!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my site so I could discover yours :) This looks fantastic! I love the use of quinoa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari! I was so happy to find your site!

      Delete
  7. Looks straightforward (some nut roast recipes seem to be needlessly complicated!) and delicious! Plus I have all the ingredients to hand. This is getting pinned for when I need some proper comfort food. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Everything I do has to be straight forward otherwise I wouldn't get around to making it!

      Delete
    2. Made this for dinner just now! Didn't hold together well, but it didn't matter as it was utterly delicious - paired it with a mushroom gravy, Jersey royal potatoes and roast brocolli. Was really pleased with how easy it was to throw together:)

      Delete
    3. Very happy you liked it Shonalika! Sometimes if the mixture is a little wet it may fall apart and because it doesn't have eggs in it to bind, it may not hold together too well but yes, it is lovely. Thank you for letting me know! Have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
  8. Vicky,
    I havent made a nut loaf in a long long time. This looks fabulous and it's time to start making them again. They are perfect in the winter with a nice gravy. thanks for visiting me too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to find someone who has actually made a nut loaf! We used to make them every week. I agree the gravy can make all the difference but this one is particularly nice cold especially in a sandwich!

      Delete
  9. This looks so tasty! Thank you so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays! This recipe will be featured this coming week =) I have pinned & shared your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made your lovely nut quinoa roast & loved it immensely! Superb! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you enjoyed it Sophie, thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  11. I don't understand because Quinoa is not on the SCD legal list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, not all of my recipes are suitable for the SCD. In the title I put "GF" or "GF SCD". Those recipes with SCD next to them (the majority) are suitable for the SCD. There is an index at the top of the blog in the bar with all the recipes suitable for the SCD and there is also a link on the right to the top of the page beneath "search". I hope this explains the confusion. Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  12. hey there,

    this looks great. how many does this recipe serve?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this today. The only alteration I really made was using fresh herbs when I had them instead of dried. My loaf tastes great, but it did not hold it's shape after I took it out of the pan so we ate spoonfuls instead of loaf slices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Try adding a little more quinoa and make sure it's slightly under cooked before adding to the rest of the veggies, it will then absorb the excess moisture as it cooks in the oven.

      Delete