Wednesday, 11 May 2016

Cashew and Sunflower Bites - Suma Bloggers Network GF SCD


These spicy, grain free, gluten free, paleo and vegan cashew and sunflower bites have been on my to do list ever since I enjoyed a fantastic lunch at Kupfert and Kim in Toronto a year ago.

Kupfert & Kim Paleo Box

Nestled in the box above you may notice a few sunflower protein balls. I have no idea what ingredients they contained but they were incredibly delicious. For some time now, I've intended creating my own version to make them suitable for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and I decided that this recipe would be perfect for my contribution to the Suma Bloggers Network this month.

Cashew and Sunflower Bites before cooking

They taste fantastic cold as well as warm which makes them ideal to eat with a salad or to include in a packed lunch or even to munch on as a savoury snack straight from the fridge.

Cooked Cashew and Sunflower Bites

Cashew and Sunflower Bites GF SCD

190 g Suma Organic Cashew Nuts  
60 g Suma Organic Sunflower Seeds  
200 g peeled butternut squash
1 small onion
1 large clove garlic
1 small red chilli pepper
1 tsp Suma Organic Paprika
1 tsp Suma Organic Cumin Seeds
2 heaped tblsps roughly chopped fresh coriander
1 tsp Suma Organic Oregano
salt & pepper
extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil

  • Set the oven to 180° C.
  • Grind the cashews and sunflower seeds in a food processor until fine but not into a flour.
  • Finely chop the onion and red chilli.
  • Chop the butternut squash into small chunks.
  • Heat half to one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan.
  • Add the onions, chilli, cumin seeds and butternut squash to the pan and cook on a low heat until the butternut squash is becoming tender (about 10 -15 minutes).
  • Stir in the oregano, paprika and garlic and continue to cook for another few minutes until the butternut squash is tender.
  • Add the fresh coriander, cooked vegetables and a little sea salt and freshly ground pepper to the processor and pulse until the mixture comes together.
  • Brush a baking tray with a little extra virgin olive oil.
  • Shape the mixture into 12 balls and place on the greased baking tray.
  • Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Serve warm or cold.

Cashew and Sunflower Bites

If you like this recipe, you may also like :

Black Bean, Pea & Mint Bites

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).

28 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness these look super yummy & really great to see you included a place to buy the ingredients too!

    MadeFromBeauty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow they look so good. cashews and sunflower seeds is e great combination. R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosana - yes they do work well together.

      Delete
  3. These sound really tasty and nutritious; are they in any way similar to falafel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kacie, yes, they are a little like falafel but falafel are a bit drier in texture. I do love falafel though!

      Delete
  4. At first, I thought these were falafel, Vicky! They look and sound delicious. I love recipe creations from favorite meals when eating out. :-)

    Thanks. xo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley :) They do look like falafel don't they! Chickpeas aren't allowed on the SCD but these could easily take the place of falafel. I've made them a few times over the last couple of weeks and if we've any left over, they seem to disappear from the fridge quite quickly. I think the original ones might have had hemp seeds in them which are illegal on the SCD.

      Delete
    2. I'm not surprised that chickpeas aren't allowed, but I am surprised about hemp seeds. Do you know why not, Vicky? I'm just curious. Thanks.

      Delete
    3. To be honest, I haven't a clue. They are legal on the GAPS diet though.

      Delete
  5. These look so delicious and I have never tried anything like this but I will now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah, they're dead easy to make, I hope you try them some day.

      Delete
  6. What a fantastic lunch box addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to try these! I'm veggie so love stuff like this. I have a friend who has been vegan for a few months now so I must share it with her!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh that lunchbox looks amazing, and love that you've re-created the sunflower bites - they look SO good! Must try these - bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, I hope you enjoy them.

      Delete
  9. They look and sound absolutely delicious and so healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound soooooooooooooo good! And I really like the photos too :-) Great to see you back to making delicious recipes! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aimee, I'm glad to be back :)

      Delete
  11. These look and sound amazing, I ended up eating fish fingers tonight (home-made GF) because I couldn't think of anything new and innovative. Thanks for sharing. Bookmarking your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, we have a few favourites too which are quick and easy to make that we rely on week after week,

      Delete
  12. These look great to put with a salad during the summer months x

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look & sounds absolutely delicious! They'd be perfect for taking on picnics. I can't wait to give them a try :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon, I love bites of all kinds they're so practical both for packed lunches and for snacks.

      Delete
  14. I am in love with these!!! They would turn any salad into a satisfying meal. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather, we like to make all sorts of variations of these because they're so handy to keep in the fridge for lunches or for snacking on. They're supposed to last a while but they disappear very quickly!

      Delete